EWA National Seminar Roundup
Updated 4/26/11 with blogs from the News-Herald (Northern Ohio)
Updated 4/25/11 with blogs from Education News Colorado
We're steadily posting guest blogs on Ed Beat from reporters who attended EWA's 64th Annual National Seminar, but a number of conference attendees have also posted about various sessions at their own sites.
Here's a round-up, which will be updated as we receive new links (is your post missing? Email firstname.lastname@example.org):
- Education Resource Strategies: ERS and EWA
- The Monterey County Herald: College or the Workforce?
- This Week In Education: Do Reporters Really Understand Their Role in the Debate?
- Thoughts on Public Education: NCLB's Escape Hatch For Schools; Poverty + Poor Reading = Dropout; A Schism On College Readiness
- Grand Rapids Press: New Orleans School Provides Services From Birth; Could New Orleans' Charter School Conversion Take Place in Michigan's Cities?; NEA President Dennis Van Roekel: Unions 'Have Failed To Lead on Teacher Quality Issues'; Van Roekel: Gov. Snyder Should Take MEA A+ Agenda 'And Run With It'; Arne Duncan: Detroit Schools Are 'Ground Zero,' Changes Coming Soon; Experts: Schools Will Continue To Face Financial Struggles, Should Use Crisis To Reinvent; New Orleans Notebook: Finland, Arne Duncan and Beignets;
- Hechinger Report: Paul Vallas On Detroit’s Reform Efforts, Cathie Black’s Resignation and His Own Plans For the Future
- Education News Colorado: Remediation Rates Misused, Misunderstood; Duncan Contrasts New Orleans, Detroit; Friday Churn: Importance of Reading; New Orleans Schools a Study in Contrasts
- The News-Herald (Northern Ohio): Conference Brings Out Emotions of Union Leaders; Educators Speak Out on Issues at Event
- Quad-City Times (IL/IA): A Unique Community School Model
- The Times-Picayne (New Orleans): Arne Duncan Says He's Inspired By New Orleans Schools
- Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel: Education Secretary Criticizes Walker's Attack on Teachers Unions
- Kalamazoo Gazette: What Arne Duncan Says About Wisconsin, Teacher-Bashing, and State Budget-Cutting; The 10 Most Interesting Things I Learned (or Heard) at the EWA Conference; What New Orleans Tells Us About the Pros and Cons Of School Choice
- Detroit News: Duncan Cites 'Lack of Courage' in Detroit Public Schools
- redefinED: Nation's Top Public Virtual Leader Endorses Private Competition
- San Jose Mercury News: Are More Charter Schools Coming to the Mt. Diablo School District?
- Title I-Derland: Come On Down?
- Casper (Wyo.) Star-Tribune: 'Wait, Wyoming Has Money?'
- Twitpics from AP's Dorie Turner: Sci Academy Charter School Visit; Walter L. Cohen High School
Labels: #ewa2011, access, choice, college_finance, data, demographics, elections, ESEA, for_profits, highered_reform, journalism, k12_finance, online_learning, readiness, standards_tests, STEM, teachers